About the Program
Click for the presentation
Master of Clinical Psychology Program of Atılım University aims at providing an education and training based on the scope and the standards given below and educating students who are able to meet the criteria of international professional standards.
According to the widely accepted standards, Clinical psychology is a science-based profession that integrates theory and clinical practice to understand, prevent, and relieve psychological problems or disorders whether they are mild, moderate, severe, chronic, or complex. (ACPA, https://acpa.org.au/what-is-a-clinical-psychologist/). In other words, Clinical Psychology is a field of practice that deals with human functioning; either human problems and their solution, as well as with the promotion of physical, mental, and social well-being. (CPA, https://cpa.ca/sections/clinicalpsychology/). Clinical psychology is the psychological specialty that provides continuing and comprehensive mental and behavioral health care for individuals and families; consultation to agencies and communities; training, education and supervision; and research-based practice. It is a specialty in breadth — one that is broadly inclusive of severe psychopathology — and marked by comprehensiveness and integration of knowledge and skill from a broad array of disciplines within and outside of psychology proper. The scope of clinical psychology encompasses all ages, multiple diversities and varied systems (APA, https://www.apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/clinical)
Clinical psychology as a specialty provides services to individuals and families across the lifespan and from all ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, as well as groups and communities. The specialty of clinical psychology addresses behavioral and mental health issues faced by individuals across the lifespan including intellectual, emotional, psychological, social and behavioral maladjustment, disability and discomfort, and minor adjustment issues as well as severe psychopathology. (APA, https://www.apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/clinical).
Clinical psychologists are expected to be able to follow these four procedures specific to their specialty:
- Assessment (diagnostic interviewing, behavioral assessment, administration and interpretation of psychological test measures)
- Intervention (primary, secondary and tertiary levels): clinical services to individuals, families and groups.)
- Consultation (inter- and intra-professional practice with other health and behavioral health professionals and organizations)
- Research (engagement with specific research and critical review of science, knowledge and methods pertaining to clinical psychology) (APA, https://www.apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/clinical).
Master of Clinical Psychology Program of Atılım University adopt an understanding of education based on widely accepted profession-specific scientific and practical principles of clinical psychology which is a professional area requiring advanced level of knowledge and skills.
Graduates of Master of Clinical Psychology Program are expected to be competent at;
- Knowledge on psychopathology, diagnosis, identification and intervention.
- Knowledge on lifelong psychological health and disorders which depends on solid knowledge on psychopathology.
- Knowledge on and skills related to application of psychological tests, grading, reporting and integrating and synthesizing their results with other personality tests.
- Knowledge on and skills related to cooperation with other mental health professionals and institutions, consultation and guidance in cases of severe mental disorders.
- Knowledge on and skills related to conducting research and critical thinking and evaluation about scientific research in clinical psychology.